Get to Know the Peer Recovery Center of Excellence
The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) funded the National Peer-Run Training and Technical Assistance Center for Addiction Recovery Peer Support to the University of Missouri Kansas City (UMKC).
UMKC, along with our partners - National Council for Behavioral Health, University of Texas - Austin, and University of Wisconsin - Madison, worked to appoint a peer-led steering committee for the new Center.
Peer voice is at the core of our work and guides our mission to enhance the field of substance use peer support services.
We are here to offer help from those who have done this work for those wanting to enhance or begin peer support services in their communities!
Working with our peer-led steering committee, we have become known as the Peer Recovery Center of Excellence.
We have four focus areas: Clinical Integration of Peers into Non-Traditional Settings, Recovery Community Organization Capacity Building, Peer Workforce Development, and Evidence-Based Practice & Practice-Based Evidence Dissemination.
Training and events will center around these focus areas.
In addition, starting in early 2021, we will accept TA requests from anyone in need of training from across the nation for technical assistance relating to substance use disorder peer support services.
What Is Available?
The Peer Recovery Center of Excellence has a wide range of experts available at our Center, through our consultants, partner organizations and our peer-led steering committee. Utilizing the knowledge and skills of these experts, we will offer up to date training and widely available resources and through our TA request form we can tailor assistance to your specific needs and requests. This may look like:
- Training for integration of peer support services, recovery community organization capacity building, peer workforce development and evidence-based practice utilization.
- Leadership opportunities for peer recovery support specialists.
- Training for healthcare and other providers on utilization of peer support within new fields (beyond substance use disorder treatment centers).
- Learning collaboratives to build capacity in Recovery Community Organizations.
- Support for peer recovery specialists (led by other peers) for mutual support, idea generating and encouragement across agencies, organizations, states and regions.
- Connecting on the ground service providers with national research experts to grow research capacity.
How Can I Access Assistance?
Individuals make a request by completing a TA request form.
A member of our team will reach out to you within 48 business hours to gather more information and discuss your request in detail.
From there, we will offer training opportunities, materials and/or individualized technical assistance.
The Peer Recovery Center of Excellence cannot provide assistance in obtaining grants or provide funding to your organization. The Center provides no cost training and assistance to establish or build your peer recovery support services.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Callan Montgomery, Co-director firstname.lastname@example.org | Shannon Roberts, Senior Program Manager, email@example.com | Cindy Christy, Project Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org